Mallory Park crunch meeting cancelled – court date set

Where to air website suggestions and questions, and we’ll update you with site developments

Moderators: darrenhendley, Mike.Penny

Mallory Park crunch meeting cancelled – court date set

Postby Mike.Penny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:19 pm

A date has been set for a court hearing that could determine the future of one of Britain’s most historic and well loved race circuits, Classic Bikers Club has learned...
Last edited by Mike.Penny on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit
Mike.Penny

Re: Mallory Park crunch meeting cancelled – court date set

Postby The Mighty Gusset » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Now then Mike - Did this really need a new thread ?
You could have posted the update in the original thread and just edited the title of the first post.

Sadly, looking at things dispassionately, it looks like the residents have good several good points, and that the owners of Mallory have been Taking the Proverbial somewhat.

Hopefully sense will prevail and a compromise worked out that suits everybody.
Gus.

I believe in Freedom of Spinach and the Right to Arm Bears.

Sharing my sh*t here : http://www.megacloud.com/ref/themightygusset
The Mighty Gusset

Postby Mike.Penny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Some of the emails we've received on Mallory...

I have to say that I understand the feelings of local residents - on one hand, you knew the circuit was there when you decided to live there; on the other, it's got noisier, and noisier. With respect to the (current) racers, can't it be turned down a bit? If that does affect performance, it's the same for everybody isn't it?

We've had to be awfully careful about noise in the grass track and, especially, speedway side of competition, so sympathise.
Yours, C Walton

I have been going to Mallory since 1965 and over the years have been aware of complaints regarding noise levels from the residents of Kirkby Mallory and the fact that Mallory have always done their best to rectify this, even to the days racing finishing earlier over the years so spectators vehicles have left by a certain time. I have always wondered why people who do not like motor circuit noise move to the perimeter of a motor racing circuit ! If Mallory have kept other noisy events down to a minimum with ample publicity of a noisy event and fair notice to the residents, I cannot see why they have to be under threat. The only really annoying noise level at Mallory is the motocross track which is wrongly positioned and drowns out the, already poor, p.a system when we have paid over £20 a ticket to follow the racing. The dust level from the motocross is horrendous on a dry day also. Good luck to Mallory in their battle.
Yours, P Shilton
Mike.Penny

Postby schwerkie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm

I remember working in the pits on Sunday mornings around 40 years ago. There was a rule in place that prevented engines being started before a certain time. If I remember correctly, it was 10:00 or when the congregation had left the local church. That was the only restriction that I was aware of at the time which didn't seem at all unreasonable.
schwerkie

Postby weevee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

My local circuit, Croft, has already had to deal with similar noise issues. Net outcome is that racing is restricted and BSB will no longer be held there. They've since tried to expand its use for other purposes, and one of the best ideas they've come up with is to introduce a 'Nostalgia Weekend' where old-timer vehicles of all kinds are raced; cars/bikes/trucks etc. are displayed to the public, and WW2 aircraft fly overhead. It's rather like a festival of speed for the North. In the three years it's been held it's grown in popularity; so much so that they're having to restrict entries. It's an excellent event, and better in many ways than the original racing!

Steve
weevee

Postby gold1800wing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 pm

I have been visiting Mallory since 1970. As far as Im aware the circuit have tried to resolve the noise issue by different methods. I would think that if Mallory has been going for 50 years, 90% of the houses have either been built or purchased in that time. Why would anybody buy or build a house in the village if they did not consider the possible noise and increase in traffic ? Mallory has to make money to survive if the council impose more restraints it could mean less meetings and this would mean less profit thus causing the circuit to close. I have lived very close to the circuit and have never found the noise has affected my standard of living. It seems to me that, too often people move from towns and cities and want to change village life. I wonder what objections the residents would have if the circuit was sold and thousands of houses and industrial units were built on the site, as is happening just down the road in Barwell. Also consider the impact on local buisness such as the hotel and shop in the village and surrounding area.
gold1800wing

Postby The Mighty Gusset » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Just a thought - and ignoring for the time being the noise limit violations.
The circuit is currently limited to 92 days per year - Now, by my reckoning there are only 52 weeks in a year, so they are already able to open virtually every weekend of the year, yet they now want 160 days ?
That means they want to operate 3-4 days every single weekend ?
Sorry, but that seems a tad intrusive to me.
And now, if you add the fact that they've failed to comply with existing agreed noise limits, then really it's hard to sympathise with the circuit owners.
As I said earlier, I hope a sensible compromise can be reached, but I think there's fault on both sides here, not just NIMBYism.
Gus.

I believe in Freedom of Spinach and the Right to Arm Bears.

Sharing my sh*t here : http://www.megacloud.com/ref/themightygusset
The Mighty Gusset

Postby Dicko » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Mallory Park has been in operation longer than the protesters have lived in the village. Same thing happened at Castle Combe and Lulsgate Airport near Bristol. Why do these people move next to such places only to complain. They most likely got their properties cheap in view of the supposed noise and now are after a killing by getting the circuit closed.
Dicko

Postby dobbslc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 pm

How about a cut off date for the locals right to be heard?
If for instance they have lived in the area for more than half the time the circuit has been open say 25 years or so, then they have a voice. If on the other hand they haven't been there for more than 25 years they must then shut up and live with what that have bought into, or MOVE to a place AWAY from any race tracks, main roads, airports, industrial estates, schools, factories etc.
I live in a house away from all of the above because I don't want too much noise, I wasn't daff enough to buy a house in Heathrow!

But, if Mallory have been taking the P then they must sort if out ASAP, The Moto x track with all the dust sounds a bit too much and would probably be better off on the other side of the circuit.

Don't let these people ruin every race track or sporting venue in the country just because they didn't think about what they were about to do when they bough their house's.

Rob
dobbslc

Postby scottowner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I raced in the very first road meeting at Mallory,13/05/1956. My Scott against Manx Nortons,7Rs,Gold Stars et al. all unsilenced. All of these would be totally outclassed by the current range of racers even if they were silenced.So why not have full racing whenever they want but road silenced......the spectacle would be the same, only quieter. Scottowner
scottowner

Next

Return to Classic Bikers Club chat